There was a time, not too long ago, when a website was considered an indulgence. Then came a time when people began seeing a website like an online business card – a necessity to get their business name some[...]
What is a Dot Net Domain Extension
Short for “network,” the .net top-level domain extension was initially created in 1985 for networks and groups such as internet service providers, telecommunications, and related services. When it was first introduced, it was a restricted domain only meant for networks.
Today it is an unrestricted domain extension, and any individual or organization can choose .net as the extension of their domain name.
Because .net was one of the original domain extensions, and because of its history, it is an extension that is easily recognized and trusted. The .net domain extension is the second most popular extension today, next only to .com.
Who should use the .net extension?
“Business is Networking and Networking is Business.” If you agree, you may want to consider a .net extension for your domain name. If your business is all about networking and growth through networks, social media, interactions, or other forms of user-generated content, then .net may be the ideal extension for you. The same is true if you are creating a networking website. By choosing a .net extension, you would be automatically announcing that your website stands for networking.
However, your business does not have to be about networking to choose a .net domain name. As an unrestricted domain extension, anyone can register a .net domain name. With .com domains becoming harder to find, alternative extensions like .net can be considered if your preferred business name is already taken.
- Plus ICANN fee of $0.18 per domain per year. Sale pricing for new domain registrations only, not for renewals or transfers.
- The final price may differ because of additional sales, fees, and promotions.
- Products will automatically renew until cancelled. You may turn off the auto-renewal feature by visiting your account.
- Change of registration may require a fee for certain domains.
How is the .net extension used?
If you register “YourSite” with the .net extension, then your domain name is likely to be “YourSite.net.” However, you can also use the .net extension within your country code. In this format, the domain name will appear as YourSite.net.xyz or YourSite.xyz.net, where xyz stands for your country code (more about country-specific domain extensions in our article Country Specific Domain Names).
Domain extensions and their history
Back in the 1980s, there were just seven domain extensions or TLDs (.com, .edu, .gov, .int, .mil, .net, and .org). Out of these, .com was meant for commercial businesses, .org was meant for organizations, .net for networks, .edu for schools, colleges and universities .gov for government sites and .mil for the military. Today, out of the original seven extensions, only .edu, .gov and .mil are still restricted and not available to the public.
In 2001-2002, seven new domain extensions were introduced. Out of these, .biz, .info, .name, and .pro are unsponsored and open to anyone who wants to register their domain name with these extensions. The other three new domain extensions, .aero, .coop, and .museum, are sponsored. A sponsored domain extension is not available to everyone and is backed by institutions. The sponsored domain extensions are specialized TLDs representing the narrower community or industry that is most affected by the TLD. The sponsor or the domain extension is the body responsible for policy-formulation over matters that concern the sponsored domain extension.
Tips for registering a domain name
Start with a list. . Make a list of possible names that can be a good representation of your business. Choose names for easy access. Having a list of alternative domain names helps in the case your first pick has already been taken by someone else.
Choose what level of domain and the domain extension you want: While .com is the most preferred domain extension, good domain names with the .com extension are scarce. As such, you may want to consider domain extensions like .org, .net, and your country-specific domain extensions.
- Contact information – Make sure you have a valid email address. You can opt for private domain registration where your identity is kept private. However, you need an email ID for correspondence with your domain registrar.
- Decide on the duration – A domain name can be registered for just one year or up to ten years. You need to decide the length you want to register your domain name for. Registering for multiple years usually saves money overall and reduces the chance of missing a renewal date the following year. You want to make sure you secure the use of your domain for as many years as you think necessary. Some feel that a new business should only register a domain name for two years and then start renewing for longer periods if the business is still going strong.
- Payment Methods – Have your credit card ready. Many companies allow you to use a check or money order, but the fastest payment method is paying with a credit or debit card. Make sure this is a secure transaction! Paying with the fastest method safeguards you against the chance that your domain name might get registered by someone else while your payment is in transit.
- Lock your domain name – Locking secures your domain name and prevents anyone from transferring your domain to another registrar. Make sure you read carefully all links that are provided upon registration. Most domain registrars lock your domain, but some won’t if you don’t specify that you want to do so.
Registering a Dot Net Domain Made Simple
Starting a new website? Are you confused with the jargon and the process of registering a domain name? Ballistic Domains makes it quite simple. Just start a domain name search from the search bar below, pick from the choice of domain name extensions and make an online payment to get started. It is as simple as that.
Why Choose Ballistic Domains?
Our domain name lookup system and the registration process are easy you use. From domain privacy, a top-notch website builder, web hosting, domain name packages, and more we are here to help you with the creation and maintenance of your site from start to finish.
More About Ballistic Domains
At Ballistic Domains, we pride ourselves in our out of this world top-level domains! No matter if you are just starting your site, transfer your domain, or if you are looking to change your domain extension to a .net, we are here to help. No matter if you are looking into a domain name dispute, looking for an SSL certificate, simple domain registry, or more we have the tools to get you going. Let us get your .info domain registered and launched today!
24/7 Mission Control Support
If you are unsure of how to set up your .biz domain, we can help. At Ballistic Domains, we provide 24/7 access to mission control and security experts to help with all of your account needs!
As a domain owner having the backing of an out of this world hosting and a company that provides an easy way to renew your domain is vital. Unlike many other earthly registrars and other domain name options, we offer a money-back guarantee if you are unhappy with your account, the data you have received, or our services.